Saturday, December 26, 2015

Superhero quilt

I made my first "real" quilt. I've made 2 for myself, but this is the first one I've made with free motion quilting and binding. I thought for my first free motion quilt, I should make a smaller size, and for someone who won't care much about the craftsmanship. So I made a twin size for my nephew. It took maybe one and a half or two weeks, shorter than I expected. I gave it to him for Christmas (yesterday). He likes superheroes, Star Wars (which he's never seen), Paw Patrol, and Ninja Turtles.

Here he wears it like a cape.

I found the pattern for it here.

I did a meandering stitch over the whole quilt except for the grey corners of each block, which I outlined with an attempt at stitching-in-the-ditch. The free motion quilting wasn't as bad as I expected. It was harder to control than I expected (I forgot to take pictures of my attempts at free-motion quilting straight lines around the grey diamonds - they were pretty bad), but in the end it didn't look as horrible overall as I thought it would. (Even considering the horribleness of my straight lines.)

No comments:

Post a Comment