Sunday, November 16, 2014

Overdue update on room redo

Okay, so several months ago I painted my room, and was planning to redecorate it as well. Redecorate meaning take down some stuff and put up/rearrange some other stuff I already had. Not buy new decorations, because I don't have money. (Or rather, I feel wasteful spending money to buy stuff, but not spending money to make stuff. Ergo, I'd spend $100 to make a quilt more readily than $70 to buy one.)

Anyway, here's the final current state of my bedroom redo. I've been meaning to post pictures for a while, but I was waiting until I finished my quilt, but it's still unfinished after five months. Also, I was never sure on the latest tweak I'd made, and was waiting until I achieved perfection. I have to remind myself that my room is always going to be changing, at least a little bit. So forget making it perfect, this is what it looks like now.

Before:

After:

The before pictures show my room more bare than it actually was. When I took those pictures, I'd already taken a lot of wall decorations down so I could paint. I'd also already taken down my white venetian blinds, and that's why my "curtains" in the pictures were just lengths of fabric. My blinds now are bamboo. My room looks especially bare now, and it just looks so sparse and empty in the pictures. But I try to keep it kinda sorta bare, because the more stuff there is in it, the easier it is to let it get messy.

By the way, the cork map, I made that yesterday. It took me 6 1/2 hours. I saw one online that's self-adhesive, but most of the reviews said that it didn't stick, or it would only stay stuck for about an hour. So I looked around and found a great DIY here by The Sorry Girls. There are two of them, so it only took them three hours, but there's only one of me so it took twice as long. There's no Tasmania, Hawaii, or Antarctica, and it's missing a lot of Canada and many, many small islands. The map did have Sicily, Corsica, and Sardinia, but those were too small for me to bother cutting them. I've only marked the places I've lived - North Carolina, Kenya, and Mexico - but if I ever travel somewhere I might mark those places too.

My Eiffel Tower didn't turn out as well as when I was paint doodling before I painted the walls from light blue to teal. It turned out pretty well then, but this time not so much. I'll just say it's because this paint is a satin finish (last time was eggshell). But anyway, I don't feel like painting back over it, so for now it's staying.

No comments:

Post a Comment